Friday, June 10, 2011

Race Day

On Saturday, June 04 my kids and I ran road races. Wichita has their yearly summer festival called RiverFest. Along with the festival comes the River Run races. There's 10 K, two mile, and tot trot races. My five year old son Carson told me months ago that he wanted to run the two mile with me. He's never ran more than the length of our back yard at one time.

A month before the race the boys got new running shoes. I couldn't live with myself knowing Carson might run two miles in Star Wars shoes that he got last summer. This pumped the boys up for their races. Stella was okay with her current pink flower shoes for her race.

About two weeks before race day Carson started getting cold feet. No way was I letting him out of this race now. I tried talking him out of it several times earlier, but he was sure he wanted to run the race. So what does every good mother do? I hauled all the kids to the bank to register for the races to make it official. Along with registration came t shirts. Carson was back on board for running the race knowing he'd be getting a new t shirt.

IMG_0176

Owen by the cannon.

Our race went beautifully. Carson and I lined up among the other 2300 plus runners, the cannon shot, and we were off. Daddy and the other kids stood on the sidewalk cheering us on. At the one mile mark I called daddy to tell him to hurry to the finish line to cheer us on.

I was so proud of Carson. We ran the two mile race in 22 minutes and 22 seconds. He officially placed 826 of 2349 runners. Not bad for a five year old (in his mother's opinion). We did not stop once to walk. I couldn't believe it. Carson was so cute when he was running. He talked the whole time to me while snapping his fingers. He finished second of all the five year olds. Carson loved passing all the adults and older kids, but I think other than getting a medal his favorite part was getting the complimentary Hydrate drink from a volunteer when we crossed the finish line. Unfortunately, we were too fast and Daddy and company didn't get to see us finish the race.

IMG_0179

Carson and I after our race.

Carson went on to run the Tot Trot with Owen (a 50 yard race). Both boys did fantastic in it. Ike rocked his race as well. If you ask him how he did, he'll tell you he beat all the girls. I'm not sure where that comes from. Stella on the other hand started off strong, then realized she was scared. Turned around and ran back to me at the start line in tears. We walked and finished the race together all while she was screaming her head off. She protested getting a medal at the end of the race, but has been wearing it since we got home and is even wanting to wear it when she sleeps. When you ask her how she did she says she got last place (which is true) and "I did cry." She says all that with a smile on her face. What a little stinker.

IMG_0183

Carson, Stella, Ike, Mommy and Owen.



1 comment:

kerri said...

way to go, kara and kids!