Sunday, February 27, 2011

Sunday Run

We all overslept. Missed church. So what does every good mother do on a Sunday morning when this happens? Let daddy sleep and haul all four kids to the grocery store to get donuts. All kids still in their pajamas with bedhead and bad breath, of course. And one child wearing a Superman cape. (You didn't actually think I physically went running did you?)

Everything about "this" is extremely out of character for me and made one of my older boys very nervous. (I couldn't believe it myself.) "Mom, do they allow kids in the grocery store in their pajamas?" he asked. I assured him this was okay only early on Sunday mornings before everybody else goes to the store.

As we were loading in the van I reminded the kids this was a special day and we don't get to do this all the time. Only today.

A few mistakes were made in our short trip to the grocery store to get donuts:

1. I opted for convenience over quality. Went to the store closest to our house rather than the one I know has a good selection of donuts and bagels. The stores are both the same chain store. How could one really be that much different than the other, especially when it comes to donuts? They are and the store closest to our house was once again a major letdown.

2. Did not buckle the kids in the race car carts, but let them push the little kid grocery carts. Four kids. Two carts.

3. Four kids at the grocery store, in their pajamas, walking around on a Sunday morning equals a lot of crazy and way too much energy.

4. Let the kids pick out which donut they wanted. This came after they saw the doors opened and touched (all) the donuts they liked best. I ended up buying more donuts than anticipated. Isaac liked a lot of donuts. Darn the brightly colored donuts covered in frosting and mini M&M's!

IMG_6515 IMG_6516

Can you figure out who wore the Superman cape?


IMG_6517

I guess I got caught up in the moment of this will be fun and something different and the kids will love picking out their own donuts moment. In all reality it really wasn't that bad. Of course I say this after we are home and the donuts are eaten. The kids loved their donuts and our out of character Sunday morning.

IMG_6511

1 comment:

kerri said...

You're such a nice momma, I bet the kids felt so special!