Thursday, October 7, 2010

Good Old Dirt!

"A kid's best friend has just got to be dirt." -Waylon Jennings

The kids have rediscovered the joys of dirt. I say rediscovered because in our old house Carson and Owen would play in a dirt patch (they created) by one of the trees in our backyard every day it seemed.

We have a dirt patch at the top of the "hill" in our new backyard. It hasn't seen much action until just recently. This has become a favorite spot for the kids to play. They will play there for an hour or so at a time. I almost hate saying it out loud, but the kids have been playing so well together. I'd like to believe this is not a phase, but a crossroad in my kids' lives. Maybe, just maybe, they are all (finally) getting old enough to play together and enjoy each others' company.

Dirt has brought them together. Maybe it's true when parents say that kids love dirt. I know it's true for this household.

This leads me to sing (in my head) the song Dirt by Waylon Jennings. It's one of the best kid songs I've heard. If you have a child who plays in the dirt you will LOVE this song. If I could figure out how to post it on my play list I would. It is a staple song in our house.

"Dirt. Dirt. Good old dirt. It may sound silly, but it really don't hurt to sing about good old dirt!" -Waylon Jennings

IMG_5130

"Dirt is quiet. It don't make noise. It's fun to play with especially for boys. Girls don't much like it, but that's okay. Boys don't like girls much anyway." -Waylon Jennings

Stella chooses to ignore the part about girls not liking dirt.

IMG_5132



No comments: